Monday, September 13, 2010

The Story Thus Far...

We're in the middle of an interesting life experiment right now. Makinzie has just started a 12-month intensive nursing school in Abilene through Texas Tech, and she will be living in Abilene with her parents for the majority of this year. This situation means that I am left here in Denton to figure out for myself things like going to the grocery store, cooking food and dressing in passably stylish clothing. Fortunately, Macy the miniature schnauzer is also here with me. She doesn't cook, but she has a fairly good eye for complementary colors, and most importantly she is an excellent buffer for my complaints about being lonely and not having anything to do.

So far the experiment has been successful. We've made it through about three weeks now, with Makinzie coming home at least once a week for a couple of days and then driving back to Abilene for most of the week. I have actually been able to get in a good rhythm finally with reading the Daily Office and the Daily Cowboys Report as well. I've also had more solid time to work on my book project, tentatively titled "Learning to Share." (I'll write more about this later perhaps).

The only frustration so far for me has been dealing with our corded phone, which dates from somewhere around 1986. We don't have long distance at home, so I pretty much sit by the phone waiting for people to call. Actually I really do sit by the phone, because our ancient model has a cord that allows me to travel approximately 3 feet before ripping out of the wall jack and going dead. Oh, and it also crackles severely. Some people would see this as a trial, but I find it empowering. Whenever I'm tired with a conversation, I just walk a little bit too far and PRESTO! the conversation ends.

1 comment:

sweetapplerum said...

So I wonder, are you guys still in Denton? Are you still enjoying UNT? I'm applying to teach overseas next year, and thought about the stories you told in class about teaching in Russia.