Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgivens





Good week.

It ended with a nice Thanksgiving meal today--the traditional American turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie, eaten with friends over the course of five or six hours. Makinzie even made her very first pecan pie for the meal (without Karo syrup, mind you**) and it turned out great!

We're sitting and typing now, quite full with a lot of good food. Truly a good Thanksgiving, even thousands of miles away.

And good news came aplenty this week even before Thanksgiving. We had an excellent class together, my students and I, on Tuesday, and I was really very encouraged by the experience. I had the pleasure of hearing some of the students say, "That was a good discussion today! Thanks Mr. Heard!" I was excited to see the students fully involved and participating; the entire atmosphere was very positive and even fun. Thanks for your prayers for me on this issue.

On top of this, we found out some of the most important "American" news we've recieved so far--the first request for an MLA interview in December.

So we're happy tonight and rejoicing with all of you, family and friends. Our Thanksgiving day proper is almost over now (it's 11:00 pm), but we will be thinking about you as you celebrate. We love you!

--Matt

**Footnote: Kinzie has uncovered a conspiracy kept secret by the Karo syrup company. She has discovered that the first recipes for pecan pies began appearing around the same time that Karo syrup came into being. We can only conclude from these facts that the Karo brand company invented pecan pie as a way of tricking Americans into associating Karo syrup with our most beloved Thanksgiving traditions.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

Dr. Liam Corley said...

Wow, Matt--an MLA interview scheduled before Thanksgiving!! That has got to be a record. Send me an email with the school name so we can rejoice too.

Amy said...

Congratulations, Matt! And Happy Thanksgiving :). I am impressed that you made your first pecan pie in a foreign country...I just tried my hand at a homemade apple pie, crust and all, and it came out so, so. I 'll just have to keep practicin'!!Love you guys!!