Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thanksgivings

(Matt)

19-11-06

Sunday morning, 7:45 am. Outside, it’s peaceful. Not quite dawn, the dim light reveals the bare outlines of apartment buildings and the silhouettes of trees blanketed in snow. An occasional lamp shines in the windows of the otherwise dark clusters of buildings, but for the most part, the city is quiet and still. It feels as though I’m the only one awake.

Inside, I’m peaceful, too. Although I imbibed coffee last night at much too late an hour to get a full night’s sleep, I somehow feel rested and refreshed—a welcome state of mind that has been much desired in the past few weeks. Last night we had more students over than we have ever had before; Makinzie and I both invited our classes on the same evening, and consequently our living room was so packed that people were spilling out into the dining room and kitchen. And whereas on most other nights we have spoken in English to help the students in Makinzie’s intensive language classes, last night the students informed us that we were “outnumbered” and would have to speak in Russian only. These rules intimidated me at first. I don’t like laughter at my expense, and having twenty people hanging on my every word makes me hesitant. In the end, though, the circumstances inspired a sense of community and fraternity that put my previous thinking in sharp relief and made me realize certain imperfections in my thinking.

Let me explain. Remember that in the preceding weeks, I have been questioning seriously my exact role here in Russia. Not that I ever doubted our mission here in general, but in the midst of complaining students, a time-consuming job hunt, and the ongoing struggle to improve my Russian past the level of a five-year old, I wondered specifically, “what I am being taught through this process?” Then on Friday night, Makinzie and I went to a “Dyen Blagadareneye” (Thanksgiving Day) party hosted by the students at RACU. The entire program was in Russian, without a word of English spoken, and I left the party thinking about “hospitality” in Russia and the contrast between my experience and all of your own reports about the people you have encountered in foreign countries. Joe, Dan, Liam, Mema—you all came back from trips abroad talking about the warmth and friendliness of the people you met, and I have been desirous of finding the same attitude in the Russian people. But I have felt that we keep meeting with a shell of indifference and aloofness (actually, that I keep meeting with this shell, since Makinzie seems to be accepted instantly by everyone she meets.) Where are the happy joy times that are supposed to make me feel that what I’m doing is worthwhile?

Well, I think an obvious answer to my question is that I’m not here to bolster my own feelings of self-worth. I’m here to empathize with the very people that seem to be so guarded and impenetrable. At times this realization has knocked me in the head. For example, last week I asked my teacher, Nelly Alexandrovna, why Russians only and always wear black (and I mean “always” quite literally). Nelly gave me two reasons: first, she said that as recently as fifteen years ago many citizens were only able to take showers once a week, and that black clothing has always been the natural choice to disguise the evidence of life in the cold and grimy environs of the city. Her second reason was even more sobering: she explained that most Russians live with the memory of the days when to “stand out” from the crowd was to condemn oneself to prison, exile, or words; therefore the long black coat has become all but an agreed-upon symbol of conformity. Given the mindset of people for whom something as simple as clothing choice could have such serious consequences, doesn’t it make sense that in general one would be hesitant to trust, hesitant to accept others?

It’s been difficult for me to balance this knowledge of Russian history and psychology with the daily experience of being an “outsider” that leaves me feeling at times equally defensive, frustrated, and unfulfilled. However, I believe that I have allowed my few unpleasant experiences to tip the scales away from the kind of embracing, optimistic attitude that I see in Makinzie and in several of the RACU students with which we have become close friends. The imbalance was revealed to me last night during our “student night” when one of my students thanked me for making classes so interesting and fun. “I’m sorry”, she said, “that some of the other students are so mean and rude. I don’t know why they act this way.” The student went on to explain that she is currently taking 33 hours of coursework. That’s not a typo; she’s taking 11 college classes in one term! With such a workload, she certainly has good reason for being overstressed and ill-humored. Her compliment, given in such circumstances, felt all the more sincere. As I sat among the students last night and listened to their rapid and excited conversations with one another, I finally felt as though all of the little things that had been bothering me in the past few weeks were suddenly unimportant and trivial. I felt at peace then and I still feel at peace now as I watch sky grow pink between the rows and rows of apartment buildings.

So the long and short of this peripatetic post is that I have indeed experienced, in Josh’s words, “lightening difficulties.” Maybe the truth is that the difficulties haven’t weighed any less so much as my attitude towards the difficulties has lightened. No matter how much resistance I encounter to my attempts to teach Sociolinguistics or Brit. Lit, my goal here really isn’t to spread the good news about Milton’s Paradise Lost. Nor am I here to sermonize on the conversational values of the Malagasy tribe in West Africa. If the students—our friends in Russia—happen to learn to like Shakespeare in the time I am with them, I’ll consider it a bonus. But the servant’s work never really is supposed to be glorious, is it?

By the way, last night the students responded to my new enthusiasm and reinvigorated spirit by killing me off first in our game of “Mafia”. Apparently a shark came and bit off both of my legs and I bled to death. It’s nice to be appreciated.

3 comments:

Dr. Liam Corley said...

"Peripatetic". . . nice one, Matt :) As far as dying first, well, one year in China we had the students hold a trial so that they could see how the process works (judge, jury, defense and prosecuting attorneys, witnesses, etc.) To make it "fun," I was the defendant, charged with the capital crime of murdering the Chinese language. You guessed it: I was convicted. I don't remember what the sentence was, but I know that I didn't take it too well at first :) You, on the other hand, are doing great!

We packed Operation Christmas Child boxes today. You two were missed!

Anonymous said...

Yeah... Jenn and had to look up Peripatetic, and we've concluded that it doesn't really fit as a description of your post> :-) Unless, of course, you were up, pacing around your home with your laptop in one hand, and hunting and pecking with your other hand while gazing out of your window at what seems like a beautiful morning in Moscow.
Assuming that you were seated while posting, we've concluded that "peripatetic" doesn't fit. Your post takes us on a direct journey into your heart of LIGHT and darkness, on this morning of reflection.

Our hearts are such peculiar things... it's amazing that they can be full of such self doubt and questioning while the rest of us is taking part in something so marvelous and significant. From a distant and privileged perspective, we look on with awe and wonder at this task that you and Makenzie have so humbly and openly availed yourselves to and our baring on behalf of the rest of us, who are truly benefiting from your journey.

I imagine that, if in your shoes, I would be asking very similar questions, but from this privileged perspective I can see only reasons to celebrate: The open and honest conversations with students; the ways in which you both have been able to share the hope that resides within you in such tangible ways; the numerous relationships that you have been able to create and deepen (even if in SEEMINGLY insignificant ways). I don't know if these are normal occurrences for your school, but they seem incredibly significant and worthy of deep thanksgiving from this vantage point.

We are praying and celebrating for you, looking forward and praying towards the day that we will be praying and celebrating WITH you in spirit and in truth.

Peace and Love - Damien

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I'm honored to be quoted in your post, I'll cherish the memory always...;-)

On the subject of Mafia, at least it sounds like your narrators were creative. Every person Jeff W. killed at the church Mafia party was either stabbed from behind, shot from behind or bludgeoned from behind. I suppose the idea was that then they wouldn't know the identity of their attacker. But it got a little repetitive. Oh for a good electrocution!

On the meat of your post, you are clearly growing in insight, even if that was not what you were expecting. Do you remember the story I told you of Costia, the student (now a pastor) that I met in Moscow? The upshot of the story is the insight you share: we don't and can't know the impact that we're having on ventures like yours. God gives us glimpses, some larger than others, but He asks us to have faith in even this, and to trust His promise that His Word will not return void, and that He is building His kingdom through your faithful service, even if you are sometimes the seed planter and not the harvester. It is exceedingly hard, though, to trust that in heaven we'll gain insight into the ways that God is now using us. But he certainly is using you both, in ways you can't realize.

By the way, I wanted to thank you for that list of schools you sent me. I called all the non-southern cal schools on the list, posing as you, and indicated that you were no longer interested and withdrew your applications. I prayed about it and felt a clear leading that you guys have to stay in SoCal. Hope you don't mind.