Saturday, September 09, 2006

Awake at 4:39 a.m.

So . . . I'm sitting here in the study (we got internet at home, by the way) awake at almost 5 in the morning while Matt is peacefully dreaming in the next room (must be nice, huh?). . .I realize I haven't posted since last Tuesday.

A few informational points. . .I have begun taking Russian in an intensive language program that is located just a 10 minute walk from our flat (the instructor made one of the students cry on the 3rd day--she's really a nice lady, though). . . We have a 1 1/2 hour each way metro/bus trip--on which I have tried to do as the locals do and read during my 3 hour journey (can y'all believe it? I'm actually trying to read for enjoyment. . .who'd have thought) I've picked up The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf, partly because I like the title and the sentiment it entails and partly because Matt's a huge Woolf fan. . .The most exciting news is I have had my first week of classes--where true connections are starting to form (thanks for lifting us up).

I have been struck by some words a dear friend gave as we were leaving. It was something to the effect of encouraging us to have wisdom and creativity to partner with what God is doing out here. I have been focusing in on being creative as we partner with the current work being done out here but don't really know how to do or rest in that. I see this desire and yearning on the part of the students to see Jesus in those around them and to make true connections with people at the school. I'm sorry I'm just rambling. Anyhow, I pray for blessings and openness on the individual time I've set up with the students to work on English and to just share, as well as a continued strengthening of the bond of community we are working towards in the classroom. Since the class I'm teaching is an English Listening and Speaking class and I wasn't given a real guideline of what to follow, we've taken the last few minutes of class to praise and encourage eachother in our walks. We had a time of prayer at the end of class--I was touched to hear beautiful prayers in Russian spoke as well as students earnestly, in their broken English, lift their hearts to God. At the end . . .there were tears. I pray His hand on those precious minutes, that language barriers would continue to be broken on both ends and that we would continue to laugh.

Goodnight (hopefully I'll be able to sleep)-
Makinzie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

War Eagle. We love you guys. As I just read your lastest posted I wondered what life is like for you and how so much has changed in the last week. It encourages me to read what is going on with you guys and what is on each of your hearts. We are praying for you both; that you may experience his kingdom where you are and bring others to know him.
Kinzie, there were a couple of times this week I picked up the phone to call you about something and I forgot that I couldn't. I made saffron rice this week with some of the saffron you had given me. By the way, how has grocery shopping been? Have you eaten any good dishes or eaten at any authentic restaurants? Have a wonderful week. Ashleigh

Butterfly Kisses said...

Hi guys,
Hope you were able to get some sleep. It sounds so amazing, that you are already getting to connect with your students. How neat to hear their prayers lifted up in broken English, but with sincerity and to a God who understands all languages and most importantly the language of the heart.
So neat that you're getting to read during the metro ride to and fro. I hope it provides some needed down-time for you to rest and relax.
Have you guys been to Red Square yet? Isn't it beautiful?
Grace recently woke up from a nap and Jake is still napping. Josh and I even got a little shut-eye too. We were out looking for glasses for our little guy today; he has ambliopia (like Josh had when he was little), so we're hopeful that the glasses will provide all the correction that he needs and allow his weak eye to be strengthened; please pray for that.
Thanks guys and we love you tons,
Di for the Brights

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for continuing to keep us updated. Kinzie, when I read that you have so little structure in your class, and that it will allow you to communicate with your students on such varied and personal matter, I am amazed at how God set up such a wonderful set of circumstances. I think that as you continue to focus on partnering with what God is doing in those circumstances, he is going to do awesome and amazing things. Many of them will extend long beyond the time that y'all are there. I'm looking forward to hearing about them.

Blessings,

Josh

Anonymous said...

Well,
It is 4:23a.m. I wish we could keep each other company. I love this blogging thing, but am anxious to hear your voice so I will probably get a calling card this week and use it. We celebrated Tim's 20th birthday last night. It sounds like you are making progress not only on the language, but also with connecting to your students. Have the Brinley's made contact yet? She said she still has pictures of you when you were a baby. I hope you will be able to get to know this wonderful couple. How are Matt's classes going? Are you sitting or standing on the metro? I have checked the weather often and it seems to be staying between 55-60. Not bad. We are still in the 80's and 90's,but fall is definately in the morning and evening air. What is the next Russian holiday? Our prayer group on Thurs. is lifting you up each week. May you adjust to the new schedule and have sweet dreams! I love you. Mom(Kim)