Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I feel so lost at times. None of the signs are in English and all the words sound so foriegn. When Matt and I walked down the streets yesterday to find a place to eat, I felt like a child. I was looking around at all of the signs in Russian, trying to sound them out and pick out words I understood; after yesterday, I can recognize 24 hour bank, metro, and cafe. . .That's a start, right?

As we travel to and from the flat, to and from the market, to and from the school, I am trying to get a grasp on the people here. Everyone crams into the metro, bodies squished together, and no one speaks or looks at eachother--if they do, they turn away quickly. I wrestle with how to connect--I feel this urgency because we are here only for a few short months.

As I begin my first class in just a few hours, I hope to truly connect with the students even within this first class setting. That is my prayer, Father, that you grant me opportunities to touch and to be touched today.

-Makinzie

1 comment:

JennO said...

Hmm....the beginnning of change. the sights, words, smells. breathe it all in as a gift, a gift into the heart, the root, the lives of Russians.

may your eyes read Russian, may your heart hear the hearts of those around you, may your mind be filled and find rest with all that you absorb.

you two are loved