Monday, October 23, 2006

Conversations

On my way back from my Russian lesson and getting groceries, and after stopping for a point in the underground walkway to listen to a man play a Russian folk song on the accordion and sing with a beautiful bass sound (one that almost rivals my grandfather's booming voice), I was blessed by two different conversations. Previously, all of my Russian conversations had either been with students or teachers (who are extremely patient and giving) or with people on the street--only asking directions, time, etc. Today was my first real chance to have a back and forth conversation with two strangers; thank you Тамара Лионидовна (Tamara Leonedovna) for your patience and preparation. It feels so good to be able to live a life/act/speak in ways that are somewhat similar to those I knew in the states.

As I was walking into the apartment, an older man with white hair came out of the office to get my attention. We proceeded to have a five minute conversation covering anywhere from his years of military service in Germany to how long I was going to be in Russia. I was so blessed by his reaction when I told him how much I liked Moscow--to smile with, share a connection, and be a part of another person's life, even if just for a minute, gives me great joy.

I thank God for providing solutions to needs--even if those needs are unknown to us at the time. When I was walking by the dumpster again today, I saw the same lady from last week. We began to try to carry on a conversation; I found out that she lives in a flat close by--why did I assume the worse (like her not having a place to live) and was so struck last time we met? Maybe it was not being able to effectively converse, I don't know. I question myself and why I came to such a harsh conclusion of her need last time we met, and I wonder if I do this with other things in life. . .Sorry I'm rambling a bit. At the end of the conversation, I attempted to ask her if she would like to join me for dinner. But, between my choppy Russian and her lack of a battery in her hearing aid, we were not able to connect. I pray for another chance (before which I'll make sure to write the question down) and am thankful for the opportunity to be touched by the Russian people and their love for a stranger from America.

-Makinzie

1 comment:

Carole said...

Dear Makinzie,

It seems to me that what is more important is that your heart was moved in compassion for this woman - which, no matter her living situation, is the heart of Jesus for her. That, I believe, transcends the language barrier in a way we cannot fully understand.

It makes me so happy to see your photos and read your posts - you are both missed, and I am praying for you!

love,

Carole