Monday, October 02, 2006

A Poem for Shabolovskaya

(Matt)

Family and friends, I'm tired tonight but I wanted to share really briefly an occurence that was significant to me on my way to school today. It was a poetic moment so I had to put it into verse--I hope you don't mind. I'll try to post more "update" info soon.


Poem for Shabolovskaya
This morning on the metro an old man stood next to me and I
Did not notice him for he was unremarkable
An old man in a black coat

Lurching forward, the train caught us all by surprise
Me and the other passengers in the car
And more than all of us
The man in the black coat
Who unable to adjust and
Unable to catch hold
Toppled suddenly backwards

Without a word spoken, hands appeared around the man
Caught his black coat
Held tight his arms
Steadied his thin shoulders and
Restored his legs aright

The old man did not smile but merely nodded to his rescuers
Who nodded back quietly, then resumed
Their postures of indifference and unconcern

--Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nicely put, & thought provoking too as always