Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hammer/Nail Ratio

(Matt)

Thanks first of all for your comments; you've challenged me to keep thinking through this issue of student frustrations and not just put the problems behind me. In response, I have a few thoughts to share very briefly:

1) My frustrations do not apply to my Shakespeare class--the students in that course always seem to be enthusiastic about class and I always look forward to our discussions. In fact, I like the class so much that I asked all the students to stay with Makinzie and I at our house for two weeks! This was an accident; I was trying to use my Russian to invite the students over to our house in two weeks, but I used the wrong preposition and invited them to stay through two weeks. Anyway, the difference between the two classes is striking and puzzling.

2) I had an epiphany today that part of my situation is the fault of the race of Eve. I'm kidding about the "fault" part, but not about the fact that I'm surrounded by women! In my three courses, I have 37 females and 1 male student; my Russian teacher and the other student in my Russian class are both females; almost all of Makinzie's students who come to our house on Fridays are female; and even the majority of the instructors at RACU are female. Although I will not take time here to ponder this strange--actually, very strange--phenomenon, I will say that this may be part of the reason why I have been slightly disappointed at not having developed by now any really meaningful relationships with Russians.

3) Actually this is a continuation of epiphany 2--my further realization that right now Makinzie is fulfilling the role in Russia that I had always (selfishly?) imagined for myself: she is a local superstar at RACU and is veritably impacting the lives of many of her students. Yesterday, Makinzie had a one-on-one Bible study with Malika, a student in her first-year language course, and on top of this she comes home each day with stories about people she's encountered and talked to throughout the day, including the destitute babushka that she has invited to eat with us. Isn't she amazing!? Even without the ability to communicate perfectly, Makinzie has extended herself to others, and I am both proud of her and encouraged by her consistently positive attitude.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted last time after just finishing Hamlet. I am confident now that all is not rotten in the state of Denmark.

--Matt

p.s. I'm eating "mushroom" - flavored chips for lunch. Mmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So were are the Russians hiding all the men? Are they passed out on park benches? Holed up in internet cafes? Already working long hours?

Dr. Liam Corley said...

Well, perhaps this is an insight to keep you from ending up at a small Christian college next year then. . . the ratio is only slightly better at such schools in the States. I think the only reason that Point Loma got up to 34% men is because of the out-of-this-world surfing.

On another note: my self-esteem always takes a beating when I am applying for jobs. There's so much chest-pounding that you have to do when writing cover letters, and your heart can get spread so thin by selling yourself to dozens of dream schools. I sometimes felt the way women say they do when they have PMS. Umm, I mean the emotions, not the bloating ;) Go get yourself some Russian ice cream!