Thursday, October 05, 2006

Scars

My little ringworm problem is coming to a close, and at the end of this week I'll be done with the recommended four weeks of medication. All that’s left is a small circle scar on my right forearm, which makes me happy. I know Mom's not going to be pleased with the fact that I'm happy that I'll have this new scar, but I like getting new scars. I know that might sound a little sadistic, but scars are memories for me--memories that I enjoy looking back on.

Every time I look at my birthmark (ok, so it's not a scar, but the same idea) in the shape of a heart on the side of my left knee I remember the time when I was around 6 or 7 and Mom told me that my Aunt Twyla had a birthmark in the shape of a heart also, and I was proud of that. When I look at my left knee, I remember playing outside with my friend Annalee when I was 7 or 8 and falling into this plant that cut into my knee--I am reminded of what life consisted of back then, playing pretend games, having fun with (she might say pestering) my sister, Ashleigh, etc. When I look at my left hand, I remember the time we were coming back from Colorado skiing and our suburban flipped after coming across some black ice--I am reminded of how God showed mercy on our family that day, and I laugh at my eagerness to crawl through a broken window when I thought that there was a gas leak that could explode at any minute (which turned out to be a leaky soda can). When I look at my right hand, I remember helping move some set pieces for my dear friend Adrienne and being scraped by a rough edge of a pylon--I think about and miss those crazy times and wonder which coast she ended up on. When I look at my left pointer finger, I remember slicing it open with a dull knife when I was making a sandwich and blood was gushing everywhere--I am reminded of when we first moved out to California and my period of loneliness and depression when I couldn't find a job and we knew hardly anyone (except the sweet Corley family who really showed us love). When I look at my left forearm, I remember being in Mexico with our California community to build a house and scraping my arm with a piece of sheetrock--I am reminded of the beautiful blessing of community we have out there now (friends new and old).

And, now, I will have this new scar to remember our time out here in Moscow--where we have a few short months to make more memories that I can attach to the scar.

-Makinzie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt and Mak:

Read some of your blogs. Seems like you are adjusting well ... this was expected :)

We are doing well ... keeping busy with life and life and life stuff :)

We miss seeing you each week

Bye for now,
Jeff for the Whites

Anonymous said...

You can't see where my circle was on my shoulder anymore, so unless yours is weird or something, you might actually not have the scar to look back on, but I do the same sort of thing too. sometimes my friends & I even compare all of our scars, although I don't have very many & some just appeared like at birth or something, ooh & I have one in the same place that Becca has one or maybe it was Rach. so yeah, I'm rambling cause I was tired, then I read this post and now I'm slightly hyper in my brain but my body's tired cause it's almost 11pm our time so i'm gonna go now, umm,...yeah. goodnight. "Okay I love ya, bye-bye!" --sigh--gets tired again...

Anonymous said...

Sigh...

Then I'll look at the scar on my forehead, and I'll remember it came from all the times I hit myself there after meeting with Matt, when I said "Why can't I write my dissertation that fast [whack!]...why can't I write that fast? [whack!]"...

Miss you guys a ton. Baby's coming REAL soon.

-Josh

By the way, the first time I tried to post this, I put carrots "<>" arount the noises, and got back from the site that the "whack" HTML tag is not allowed. Thought that was funny.

Amy said...

I love this post, Makinzie. I can totally relate to seeing scars as ways to remember parts of our lives or particular times of God's faithfulness. For me, the scars on my neck and my belly (which are there because I was so sick as a newborn) remind me of God's healing hand on me as a baby. They make me so thankful I survived that time to go on and live the life God had for me.

I was so sweet to read that our family was a blessing to you during that difficult time of transition to CA. What is equally true is that, even in the midst of what was a trying time for you, you were an incredible blessing to us as well...as you have continued to be through the years, and even now from thousands of miles away.

With much love,

Amy, for all the Corleys

Butterfly Kisses said...

Kinzie,
I absolutely love this post. It really made me feel like I got to know you in a deeper way and I love that. Cool that we connected in that way while you're thousands of miles away. I think that's a really neat way to think about scars and I will start to look at mine as such. Check out my post titled, "Idiosyncrasies". I think you might enjoy it. I just recently posted one tonight "A Watched Pot Never Boils" that deals with my impatience as I await Katelyn's arrival. Also, I felt really thankful when writing my piece titled, "Thankfulness". Blessings to you both,
Di