Tuesday, October 24, 2006

"the motive and the cue for passion"

(Matt)

First of all, a “shout out” to Dan and Atarah (and Christopher) Sidey for the commenting spree. We’re starting a new contest here on our blog whereby the total word count of your comments represents the strength of your friendship/family-ship; so far, Dan is about a Tolstoy novel ahead of everyone else, so get writin’!

(Just kidding about the contest. It’s by total number of posts, not by word count). J

As the rest of this post will be heavy, I want to first give an updated “Life in Russia” fun fact. Today’s fact: the Russian “babushka” (pronounced BAA-boosh-ka). The common stereotype is that “grandmas” in Russia are rude, pushy, and outspoken. True? Absolutely. Today in the Metro I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to find a tiny old woman pointing to my bookbag to tell me that it was open. I was on the extreme edge of the platform, so she must have gone far out of her way to perform this “duty.” My students tell me that babushki will often comment on young people’s clothes in the midst of crowded metro stations; one student told me that just this morning a babushka told her that her clothes were ugly! I’ve also had babushki knock me aside in trying to enter the metro, and Makinzie tells a story about how a babushka pretended to wander aimlessly in front of her in the grocery store line and then stole Kinzie’s spot! This attitude is so different from the sweet nature of my own grandmothers that I can only laugh each time a babushka acts “in character”.

OK. Now on to the weightiness. Today was a “what am I doing here?” kind of day. For the past three weeks, I have been noticing that a few of my students have seemed a little recalcitrant in class—not openly rude, but a little edgy and defiant. The undercurrent surfaced last week in Sociolinguistics during what was otherwise a seemingly innocent conversation: I was explaining the need for sociolinguists to withhold making judgments about “good” and “bad” language practices, and in the process one student was visibly upset at the presumption that anyone could ignore “bad” Russian language when all Russians know the standards for “correct” and “incorrect” Russian. I was surprised to hear one of my most intelligent students trying to argue that it would be impossible to study language without judging the people according to the way that they speak! I was even more surprised when this student and her clique turned surly for the remaining hour of class, challenging me on almost every point that I was making and acting very inhospitable.

Small elements of these frustrating attitudes filtered into my class yesterday, and then again this morning another moment of drama occurred when I called on a student (in a class of 8) who had not said anything the entire morning.

“Olya,” I asked, “What do you think about the ending of the play?” (We were reading Christopher Marlowe’s Faustus).

“Nothing; I didn’t like it. I didn’t really care about anything that happened in it”, was the reply.

Even after more prodding, the student refused to answer. After class, she came to talk to me:

“Matthew”, she said (students here don’t use titles for teachers), “I don’t understand why we have to make every story relate to the Bible. Aren’t there other options? In our Russian Literature classes here, our Russian teachers never try to make us find religious themes in the texts. I have a hard time answering your questions because I don’t see how these stories are relevant to us.”

This was a low point for me. Although I took time to explain how important religion was within the historical context of the authors we were reading and attempted to convince the student that I was not simply forcing a religious meaning onto the texts (she seemed unconvinced by either argument), I already felt crushed on the inside with the sense that my very mission here in Russia was failing. The issue is not really with my style of teaching or with the course material—I want students to feel free to comment and question—but with the overall sense that this student and others do not really respect or appreciate what I am trying to do for them.

I recognize the selfishness of this thought, but I honestly wanted to list for this student all of the sacrifices that people have made and all of the time I have spent to bring before her this very knowledge that she seemed to think was not relevant or interesting. But the individual student isn’t really the problem at all—it’s my impinging sense that these students are dissatisfied and I’m not really sure why. It’s also my selfishness at wanting to be treated with importance, when I’m really here to submit myself completely to God’s will.

The whole situation is surely divinely planned for us, since the student rebellion comes at a time when I am working exhaustingly already on applications for future academic jobs. I want to say that it is all more than I can handle, but for some reason God keeps giving me the ability to handle more and more—not a quality I would necessarily pick out of the stack. Looking back over my first posts to this blog, I can see that for some reason God has not allowed the train of long days to “break down”, but at the same time I am still OK and have enough energy to do everything I need to do. I also am completely humbled by Kinzie’s service to me and support for me; my computer chair has become like a high chair and I’m not far from being completely dependent on my wife for food (fortunately I can handle my own diaper changes). Kinzie is thriving during this time in her relationships with everyone here in Russia, which is deeply encouraging to me and evidence of God’s work in our lives.

So I don’t know where I’m left at the moment, except to say that I’m trusting and hopeful and confident at the same time that I’m frustrated and a little downtrodden. I’ll keep you updated on the outcome, but I know it will work out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Matt. You’re right on schedule! We all go through this, but not everybody learns from it.

I can remember when I first started to feel the frustration of trying to share my Bible studies with the college students I was working with in China. They didn’t really find them all that interesting. I spent all this time preparing, practicing, and it wasn’t highly valued. I know you understand the pain and doubt I felt as I asked myself … Isn’t the Gospel relevant to these people? Don’t they need God, too? Why don’t they understand how valuable the things are that I’m giving to them?

It took me 5 years and 3 continents to find the answer to that question. Rest assured that this difficulty and frustration will not be wasted. God will use it to fuel your passion. You’re on the road to incredible effectiveness.

Here’s a short explanation:

Remember the saying, “When all you have is hammer, everything looks like a nail?” What you have on your hands, is most certainly NOT a nail. So, stop hammering. Non-nails don’t like hammering.

I have no doubt that as you share this story will other “helpful” workers around you, they will tell you that it IS a nail, and hammering is the appropriate action. In fact, they will say, if the “nail” doesn’t like the hammering, hammer harder, and then move on to more “worthy” nails who appreciate good, Godly hammering. They are wrong. Do not listen to them. This is why their hammering/nail ratio is so low.

This part is hard: It’s not a nail. And all you have is hammer. You’re unprepared. I was, too. That’s ok. It’s not about them. It’s about you, and the work God is doing on you and through.

Your job right now is simple:

Listen.

While others are rushing in to give the “answers”, listen for the questions. Be humble. Listen to their hearts, their dreams, and their passions. Cry with them. Love them. See them for who they are, not who you want them to be, or who you think they are. God will assist you in this task.

You all are my heroes! Stay strong. God knew what he was doing when he brought you there.

Joe

Rachael said...

I don't have advice in a teacher sort of way, but I do know what it is like to feel like there is no point in being somewhere. After several months in Montana hanging out with the children I worked with and trying to teach them about God's love they still didn't get it. They still continued to live the lives that I tried so hard to help them get out of. I began to wonder why I was there and why did I continue to teach if they were'nt going to care. I was reminded by a good friend of mine that we may never know the outcome of how we have touched someones life. We plant a seed that someone comes behind to water, feed, and harvest. This is not always comforting because in the society we live in we are driven by instant gratification, but God has His timing and His way of doing things. We are just a small part. Matt, you are there teaching your students because that is where God wants to be. It sounds like to me that He is already working in them. Continue to seek His will for you in Russia, and remember that God is always at work even if we don't see the outcome. Love you guys! Rachael

Dr. Liam Corley said...

I can't resist, Joe. . . Go hammer those nails, Matt!! Seriously, there's a big difference between being a good prof and being a good missionary. You're quite right to insist on the relevance of theology and scripture to Shakespeare's plays, so long as you are not pietistic about it. Perhaps the language hurdle is making the distinction between scholarly explication and pietistic hammering muddy for your students.

A different perspective: students are only two steps above ex-girlfriends for accurate feedback on your value and purpose in life. You can't love them if you need them to like you (cf Parker Palmer's utterly essential handbook for teachers, The Courage to Teach). Continuing being real, risking rejection for the sake of accuracy, excellence, and textual insight. Of course, given your epiphany post above, there may be an emotional connection between your students and any ex-girlfriend emotions. Hahaha--yeah, I know, Kinzie--there are no exes in Matt's closet. Just kidding around here.

Carole said...

Dear Matt,

Sorry for the late comment, but I'm catching up on my blog-reading! As a university student, coming from a fairly non-religious background, at first the mention of Jesus didn't bother me. But the more his name was mentioned, I gradually became more irritated. I think this was because I could not ignore him anymore - the fact of Jesus' very existence was being put before me again and again, and I wanted to tuck him away where I wouldn't be confronted with the reality that I was not living life following him. The night before I repented and asked Jesus to be Lord of my life, I told my bible study leader (I'd initially gone to the study just for the friendships there but got interested despite myself), "I can't hang out with you guys any more. You talk about Jesus too much."

All this is to say, I think people (like me) get defensive or detach when there is in fact something that God wants to do. The subtlety of the battle in a soul as it is faced with the power of God's Spirit is something I don't think we'll ever really understand or be able to see on the outside. But I'm so grateful for my bible study leader and others who continued to pray for me - I know that their prayers and their willingness to persevere in engaging with me made a great deal of difference!

I'm confident that your and Kinzie's presence and love are making a deeper impression than you are able to see. I truly think apathy and detachment are defense mechanisms and certainly not the end chapter of what God is doing in these students' lives. I am gratful on their behalf for your efforts.

~ Carole